1. This trick DOES NOT convert a podfic into a podbook. These settings are linked to a particular computer's iTunes music library and the iPods and iPhones (and, I assume, iPads) that synch with that computer.
2. This trick does not compile multiple podfic parts into a single file, nor does it change the original bit rate of the files. In other words, if the original podfic is uploaded in 5 parts, those 5 parts continue to be individual files. The typical podfic is recorded at 128 kbps, whereas my podbooks are compiled at 64 kbps. Using this trick, the files remain approximately twice the size of the typical podbook.
So, how do you get your podfics (ALL of your podfics) to show up in the Audiobooks (now Books) section of iTunes 8 and 9 (not earlier versions) and iPod/iPhone?
1. Import your podfic into iTunes - drag and drop, or simply double click on the file(s).
2. Select the imported track(s) in iTunes, and choose File > Get Info, and then click on the Options tab to get to the Track Info Options panel.
3. From the Media Kind pop-up menu, choose “Audiobook”.
4. Check the Remember playback position and Skip when shuffling options.
5. Click the OK button.
From now on, iTunes, iPods, and iPhones will all treat the track(s) as full podbooks, including remembering playback position automatically (saving your “bookmark”), skipping the track when you’re playing a random shuffle of music, and allowing you to speed up or slow down playback with the Settings > Audiobooks speed options on your iPod or iPhone.
Note: When you make the above changes, the podbook track(s) will be moved from the Music source list to the Audiobooks (Books) source list. If you haven’t enabled the Books list, it will seem as though your tracks have disappeared. To fix this, open the iTunes Preferences dialog from the iTunes menu item (next to File). Make sure you are on the General section of the preferences dialog. Check the Audiobooks (Books) item in the Show section. This will display the Audiobooks (Books) source list on the left side of the main iTunes window. This item does not display by default.